Friday, May 2, 2008

CVSUP

When I install FreeBSD I only install my bare minimums such as X-User and KDE. I install my system off of FTP which is quicker in my mind. Downloading only what you need compared to downloading 3 cd's, which can suck if you have a slow connection. Once my system is up I do several things to get it where I like it. The 1st is CVSUP which is a great application to build your port list.
To install cvsup we will do it from a package
#pkg_add -r cvsup
Next we will build our supfile from the example, the supfile tells our system where on the internet to get the ports and which ones to get, and to download them
#csup -L 2 -h cvsup.FreeBSD.org /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile

Ports are great you can install pretty much and application you want using ports, all you do to install one if browse to the port folder.
#cd /usr/ports/security/example
Then you install the port
#make install clean

No comments: